Thursday, January 5, 2017

The Top 5 Worst Movies of 2016 (in my opinion)

Last week I made my top 10 list of the best films of 2016, which means I have to pay the price of being a movie-goer and cover the bad stuff. However, this list will only be five long instead of ten. I try as best as I can to avoid seeing bad movies in theaters because I don't like wasting my time or money. When I choose to see a movie in the theater, it's because I see some kind of potential for it to at least be entertaining. But even then some stinkers manage to slip through the cracks, or morbid curiosity gets the best of me. So if you're wondering why infamous turds like Gods of Egypt, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and God's Not Dead 2 aren't here, it's because I knew that them sucking was going to be a foregone conclusion and I didn't want to waste my money. (Also, if you're the kind of person who needs me of all people to tell you those movies are garbage, then there's nothing I can really do for you.) Alright, enough beating around the bush, let's get this over with.


5. Assassin's Creed
I've already went into detail about why this movie doesn't work in my initial review, but I will say this: the biggest sin Assassin's Creed commits is wasting its potential. You have a cast of incredibly talented actors (one of whom is also a producer), a talented director, source material and a concept that should make for at least an interesting story, and what do they put out? A half baked, poorly edited, sloppily written bore-fest that keeps pulling our attention away from what should be the coolest part of the movie. Maybe I had my hopes up since I want to see a good video game movie sometime before I die and this had everything lined up for it to be at least competent, but I went in with high hopes and low expectations, and I still left the theater feeling hollow. What a disappointment.

4. Norm of the North
I have my reasons for seeing this. Sure, those reasons all basically fall under the umbrella of morbid curiosity, but they're reasons nonetheless. I wasn't expecting anything out of this movie at all (the fact that Rob Schneider is our lead should tell you everything that you need to know), but I was thinking that it could at least be so bad it's good, like the spiritual successor to Foodfight! or the animated Titanic movies or something. Nope. It couldn't even be that. I can barely even recall any major details other than that Schneider plays a twerking polar bear, there's this plot about people wanting to build condos in the arctic for some reason, and there's this group of lemmings who are more obvious Minions ripoffs than the elves from Rise of the Guardians. It's unfunny, the animation is terrible, it's child pandering, it's the embodiment of just about every bad animated children's film of the past twenty years. Everything about Norm of the North screams direct-to-DVD, which is apparently what it was supposed to be, but somehow it got a wide release at the last minute while superior animated films like Anomalisa, When Marnie Was There, and The Little Prince get relegated to the indie theaters and Netflix. That's the thing about this movie that really gets under my skin. Don't waste your time with this one.

3. Yoga Hosers
I'm not as hard on Kevin Smith as most people. He seems like a decent enough person, and even though he's made some great movies, his overall filmography is kind of hit and miss for me. But when he hits it out of the park, he hits it out of the park. Which is why this movie hurts so much. The best way I can really describe Yoga Hosers is “Nepotism: The Movie.” This isn't so much a movie as it is a 5 million dollar birthday present for his daughter. The plot is basically a rehash of Clerks if Clerks were about two obnoxious teenage girls who are on their phones all the time, had tiny bratwurst Nazis that shoved themselves up people's butts (don't ask), and was peppered with a bunch of lame Canadian stereotypes. If you can't get enough jokes about how Canadians say “eh”, “aboot” and “sory”, then do I have the movie for you. I will give it to Harley Quinn Smith and her real life BFF Lily Rose Depp since they're pretty good actors and do kind of capture the spirit of the original Clerks, but there's only so much they could've done with this material. Kevin Smith, I love you and your work, I have no doubt in my mind that this was a big bonding experience for you and your daughter, or maybe this is just some elaborate dig at your critics and I'm not in on the joke, but you can do so much better than this. My advice: stop getting baked before writing your scripts.

2. Collateral Beauty
The trailer is a lie! The fact that this is Will Smith in a December Oscar-bait drama should already be a red flag, but while films like The Pursuit of Happyness and Seven Pounds are merely just overly sentimental, emotionally manipulative tripe, Collateral Beauty goes the extra mile. Will Smith plays a man who loses his daughter and begins writing letters to Love, Time and Death as a coping mechanism, only to be visited by and receive a pep talk from the personifations of those concepts. Or at least that's what the trailer would have you believe. In truth, this is actually part of a gaslighting scheme devised by Will Smith's co-workers who are trying to get him fired since his depressive state is ruining their business. So they hire a group of actors to pretend to be the personifations of Love, Time and Death, talk to Will Smith, record them doing it, edit them out of the video, and use that as evidence of him being crazy so that he'll get fired and they can take over the company. I don't have enough middle fingers to properly convey how I feel about this. Not only is this a horrible thing to do to someone who is in grief, but it's one of the most stupidly convoluted schemes I've ever heard of in a film. The fact that there were hundreds of people working on this that thought this was okay just blows my mind. But I do have to give it to whoever edited the trailer for at least trying to make it seem palatable, even if it means he has to sell the movie on a lie.

1. Suicide Squad

Where do I even begin? I'm probably one of the few people who didn't see Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, mostly because I knew from square one that was going to be a joyless, infuriating slog. But despite all of the horrible mistakes that Warner Bros has been making with their DC properties, from their inability to properly market a superhero that isn't Batman to mistaking darkness and grittiness for realism to taking time out of their movies to promote other movies to constantly hiring Zack Snyder, I thought that maybe there was something salvageable. And some of the mistakes they made here should work for Suicide Squad, but somehow they even managed to fuck that up. I kind of get what they were trying to go for here, but the execution is all wrong. The editing is atrocious. The plot is completely unstable. The characters are poorly written. The actors, bless their souls, are trying their best to make the best of this material with, to put it politely, varying results. The soundtrack consists of a bunch of classic rock and pop songs used in the most obnoxious, obvious ways imaginable. This movie had a pretty troubled production with David Ayer given only six weeks to write the script, last minute editing done by the people who did the trailers, and last minute reshoots to give the movie more of a sense of humor, but even if the production process was smoother and not rushed out in a hubristic attempt to compete with Marvel, I highly doubt there was some sort of Oscar level masterpiece hiding in this mess. I would tell Warner Bros to just cut their losses and start over in about five years (or at the very least, get rid of Zack Snyder), but it looks like we're in this pain train for the long haul whether we want it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment