Wednesday, January 24, 2018

My 2018 Oscar Predictions

The nominees for the 90th Academy Awards were announced recently, and since that means we’ll be going through the annual cycle of bellyaching over how the Oscars don’t matter while having intense online debates about whether or not the Oscars matter, I thought I’d throw my two cents into who will or probably should win. On one hand, I think it’s great that there’s more diversity on display this year, but I’m a bit more cynical about who the awards will actually go to. This isn’t academy voting, just predictions based on what I know about the Oscars’ taste and my own personal opinion, with all my biases in tow. Also, there were some categories where I saw none of the nominations (Best Foreign Film, Best Animated Short, Best Short, Best Documentary, Best Documentary Short), so those will be skipped. Let’s start with the big one:

Best Picture:
Call Me by Your Name
Darkest Hour
The Post

Who I think will win: This is a close call between Get Out, Lady Bird, The Shape of Water and Three Billboards, and while Three Billboards seems like the safest bet, I have a hunch that it'll go to Lady Bird. While I wasn’t nearly as crazy for it as everyone else was, the praise for this film has been almost universal, so it seems like a shoe-in for Best Picture. Plus, since the Best Picture nominee has become a bit of a political game since the #OscarsSoWhite debacle a few years ago, it would seem appropriate to follow up Moonlight taking home the gold with passing it to an almost entirely female-centered project, especially now that we're in the midst of the #MeToo movement.

Who I want to win: I'd be happy with the prize either going to Get Out or The Shape of Water. Personally I liked The Shape of Water more, but the impact Get Out left on film and the populace at large is significantly bigger.

Best Lead Actor:
Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread
Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out
Denzel Washington, Roman J. Israel, Esq.
Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour
Timothee Chalamet, Call Me by Your Name

Who I think will win: Gary Oldman. It’s a well-respected character actor donning a ton of make-up and doing a spot-on impression of a significant historical figure during a pivotal moment in World War II. This role was practically designed to win Oscars.

Who I want to win: Daniel Day-Lewis. While I personally would’ve been thrilled to give it to Hugh Jackman for Logan (at least they didn’t nominate him for The Greatest Showman, thank God) or Andy Serkis for War for the Planet of the Apes, Day-Lewis is one of my all-time favorite actors, and if this really is his last film, it would be nice to give him one last award before he retires.

Best Lead Actress:
Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Margot Robbie, I, Tonya
Meryl Streep, The Post
Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water
Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird

Who I think will win: When I thought about who would get nominated before the nominations were announced, I managed to predict all five of the Best Actress contenders. That said, I’d be satisfied if any of these ladies won, but if I had to bet on who’s most likely to win, my money is on Sally Hawkins, if for no other reason than she went through the whole movie silent and showed a wide range of emotion without a single word (aside from that weird musical number). Or they could be totally predictable and just give it to Meryl Streep again.

Who I want to win: Again, I’d be happy with any of these, but aside from Sally Hawkins, I’d also really like to see it go to Frances McDormand. Mildred is one of my favorite film characters of the year, and that’s due in no small part to McDormand’s fiery performance.

Best Supporting Actor:
Christopher Plummer, All the Money in the World
 Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water
Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project
Woody Harrelson, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Who I think will win: Christopher Plummer, if for no other reason than his performance was a last-minute addition. All the Money in the World went through massive reshoots after Kevin Spacey’s sexual misconduct accusations, and Ridley Scott wanted to scrub him from the film. (Even though he dodged that bullet, he did hit another when he didn’t give Michelle Williams her fair pay.) Admittedly I haven’t seen it for myself, but from what I’ve heard, Plummer was one of the best things about it.

 Who I want to win: This is the first time I’ve ever seen a movie get nominated twice for the same category (I didn’t even know you could do that), and while Woody Harrelson was also terrific, Sam Rockwell dumped an entire box of mics on set and walked away without looking at the explosion. He’s one of the most under-appreciated actors alive, and it’s high time he got his proper dues. But if I had my way, Patrick Stewart would also get a nomination for Logan.

Best Supporting Actress:
Alison Janney, I, Tonya
Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird
Lesley Manville, Phantom Thread
Mary J. Blige, Mudbound
Octavia Spencer, The Shape of Water

Who I think will win: One of the many clichéd snipes from the peanut gallery is that the Oscars love to give the Best Supporting Actress role to those who play horrible mothers. (Just ask Monique.) While it’ll be a close call between Bad Mom Alison Janney and Good but Frustrated Mom Laurie Metcalf, I think Janney will ultimately win over.

Who I want to win: As cliché as it may be, I really do hope it goes to Alison Janney. Like Sam Rockwell, Janney is a severely underrated character actor who has yet to get the recognition she deserves, and she does an incredible job of fully embodying such a loathsome character.

Best Director:
Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk
Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird
Guillermo Del Toro, The Shape of Water
Jordan Peele, Get Out
Paul Thomas Anderson, Phantom Thread

Who I think will win: Another category where I’d be happy with any of these nominees winning, but gun to my head, It's going to be a toss-up between Greta Gerwig, Jordan Peele and Guillermo Del Toro. Nolan doesn't make movies that make people cry, Phantom Thread was a little too weird, Gerwig and Peele are both actors-turned-directors which is something the Oscars always loves, and Del Toro would be a consolation win for being snubbed for so long.

Who I want to win: With all due respect to Nolan, Del Toro and Anderson, I think Jordan Peele deserves it this year. One of the most mind-blowing thing about Get Out was that it seemed like it was made by someone who spent at least three films honing their craft, and yet it was made by a first-timer who isn’t even a director by trade. Plus, it’s important for women and minorities to get recognition for their work behind the camera.

Best Original Screenplay:
Get Out
Lady Bird
The Shape of Water
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Who I think will win: This is a close call between Three Billboards and Get Out. Three Billboards has some of the best dialogue all year and pulls the hat trick of making you sympathize with an ignorant racist, but on the other side of the coin, Get Out has the most original premise, and deals with racism in a way that hasn’t really been dealt with before in a Hollywood movie.

Who I want to win: I’d be happy with either of those two, but while Get Out winning would be on the right side of history, I personally think that the script for Three Billboards is better written, so I’m going with that.

Best Adapted Screenplay:
Call Me by Your Name
Mudbound

Who I think will win: While it tends to get lost in the shuffle with other nominations, I could see Call Me by Your Name taking home the Best Adapted Screenplay award. But the Academy also really loves Aaron Sorkin, so I can easily see it going to Molly’s Game as well.

Who I want to win: I wasn’t expecting Logan to get nominated for anything at all, let alone best adapted screenplay, but it would be a nice curveball see Logan win just to stick it to the Academy for thumbing their noses at superhero movies for all these years.

Best Cinematography:
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
Mudbound
The Shape of Water

Who I think will win: While I wasn’t that hot on Blade Runner 2049 as everyone else, there’s no denying that it’s one of the most visually stunning films in recent memory, and that’s due in no small part to the cinematography by Roger Deakins.

Who I want to win: Blade Runner 2049.

Best Costume Design:
Darkest Hour
Phantom Thread
The Shape of Water
Victoria & Abdul

Who I think will win: Most of the nominees in this category are a bit homogenous since they’re mostly based on the same setting and time period (mid-century England), but the dresses in Phantom Thread aren’t just divine, they’re also integral to the plot and world of the film. Beauty and the Beast, while being a pretty bad film, did have some rather impressive costumes as well, so I wouldn’t be surprised if that won either.

Who I want to win: While there’s only one truly inspiring costume in this movie, I’d love to see The Shape of Water take home the gold just for the fish man suit.

Best Sound Mixing
Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
The Shape of Water

Who I think will win: It’s a tough call between Blade Runner 2049 and Dunkirk, with an edge towards Dunkirk.

Who I want to win: If you read my review of Baby Driver or my essay on movie soundtracks, then you know that I am absolutely in love with the way it merges action with music, and the sound mixing played a huge part in its effectiveness.

Best Editing:
Baby Driver
Dunkirk
I, Tonya
The Shape of Water
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Who I think will win: Baby Driver was only nominated for three awards, all three of which were the real stars of the show, but it has the highest chance of winning in the editing department for how precise and synchronistic it is.

Who I want to win: See above.

Best Sound Editing:
Baby Driver
Blade Runner
Dunkirk
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
The Shape of Water

Who I think will win: This and the best sound mixing category usually go hand in hand, so once again, it’ll be a tie between Blade Runner 2049 and Dunkirk.

Who I want to win: Once again, Baby Driver is one of the best accomplishments in merging sound and visuals in recent memory, so it would be great for it to get the prize.

Best Visual Effects:
Blade Runner 2049
Kong: Skull Island
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
War for the Planet of the Apes

Who I think will win: I’m a bit of a latecomer to the new Planet of the Apes trilogy, having just watched all three for the first time a few weeks ago, but the debate that always swirled around it was how it revolutionized and pushed the boundaries of motion capture, and this would be an opportune time for the Academy to honor that.

Who I want to win: As much as I’m rooting for War for the Planet of the Apes to win for all the reasons stated above, but I’d also be happy with Blade Runner 2049 winning, specifically for everything involving Joi. The scene where she merges with Mackenzie Davis in particular is one of my favorite individual scenes of the year.

Best Make-up and Hairstyling:
Darkest Hour
Victoria & Abdul
Wonder

Who I think will win: Darkest Hour. Going back to what I said in the Best Actor category, they transformed Gary Oldman into Winston Churchill. It’s practically designed to win. But the Academy also goes nuts when the make-up department transforms a conventionally attractive actor into an ugly one, so it could swing in Wonder’s favor.

Who I want to win: Honestly, I’m not really impressed with any of these nominees. If it were up to me, I give a nomination to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. Michael Rooker, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Karen Gillan and Pom Klementieff spent countless hours in those chairs, they could’ve thrown in some trophies for that.

Best Original Song:
The Mystery of Love” by Sufjan Stevens, Call Me by Your Name
Remember Me” by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez, Coco
Stand Up for Something” by Common and Andra Day, Marshall
Mighty River” by Mary J. Blige, Raphael Saadiq and Taura Stinson, Mudbound
This Is Me” by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, The Greatest Showman

Who I think will win: I called back in my review of Coco that “Remember Me” has the Best Song category on lockdown, and I stand by that statement. But even though I loathe giving the benefit of the doubt to the fucking Greatest Showman, I do think “This Is Me” has a slight chance of stealing it.

Who I want to win: “Remember Me”.

Best Original Score:
Hans Zimmer, Dunkirk
Jonny Greenwood, Phantom Thread
Alexandre Desplat, The Shape of Water
John Williams, Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Carter Burwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Who I think will win: The Academy loves Hans Zimmer, and Dunkirk is probably one of the best accomplishments in a while.

Who I want to win: Jonny Greenwood. Maybe it’s because I saw Phantom Thread a few days ago and it’s still fresh in my mind, but it’s hauntingly beautiful and quite memorable.

Best Animated Feature:
The Breadwinner
The Boss Baby
Ferdinand
Loving Vincent

Who I think will win: Coco. They call this the Pixar Award for a reason. That, and the competition this year is pretty thin. (Loving Vincent I get, but... The Boss Baby? Really?)

Who I want to win: Coco. Perhaps it’s not fair for me to judge since I only saw four animated films this year (one of which is technically a 2016 release), but Coco is a touching, wonderfully realized film even when put against the rest of the Pixar canon.

Best Production Design:
Beauty and the Beast
Blade Runner 2049
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
The Shape of Water

Who I think will win: The Shape of Water.

Who I want to win: Blade Runner 2049.


And that’s my take on the nominees for this year’s Oscars. Tune in on March 4th to watch me eat my own words.

No comments:

Post a Comment