Sunday, January 27, 2019

Announcing a New Essay Series.




I’ve been working on Man In The Movie Theater for a little over two years now and have been writing reviews of all different kinds of media for even longer than that. Unfortunately, my format isn’t any different from 90% of the infinite amount of wannabe film critics trying to carve a name for themselves in the overcrowded echo chamber of the Internet, and I’ve been searching for ways that I can evolve as a writer, as a critic and as a person.

Believe it or not, my goal with these reviews isn’t to tell people what and what not to see. My biggest endeavor with my reviews is to help people think more critically themselves about the movies they watch and think about why they like or dislike certain things. Whether or not I’ve been successful at this is highly debatable.

One of the ways I’ve tried to push myself is by writing the occasional essay. They don’t come out nearly as frequently as they used to. In fact, if you scroll through my archive, you could count all the long-form essays on one hand and still have fingers to spare. The reason they’re so few and far between is because I don’t want to devote so much energy to a topic unless I have an interesting angle, such as my essays on adaptations or film soundtracks, or I really needed to get something off my chest or strike a relevant topic while the iron was hot, like when I chronicled the clusterfuck surrounding the downfall of Channel Awesome. Hell, I had a Word document full of potential essay topics, but that died along with my old laptop.

I’m also way more interested in drawing people’s attention towards the good stuff instead of steering them away from the bad stuff. See, I don’t get invited to press screenings, and since movie tickets are expensive and I’m paying for everything out of pocket, I’m investing my money in things I actually want to see/write about, IE: movies that I hope are good, or at the very least interesting in some capacity. That’s one of the benefits of being a free agent: I get to set my own schedule.

For all the reasons above and then some, this year I will begin working on a new, ongoing essay series called I Fucking Love This Movie. Basically, it will be a deep dive film analysis where I break down some of my all-time favorite movies and explain what makes them so effective on an artistic, technical or personal level. No two movies are exactly alike, so the angle I approach it at will depend on the strengths of the movie itself.

I also want to draw people’s attention towards movies they might not have seen or thought much about before, so a lot of the obvious choices for a series like this will be off the table. As much as I love Pulp Fiction, A Clockwork Orange, Mad Max: Fury Road and Jurassic Park, they’ve all been analyzed to death and I don’t think I can add anything new to the conversation surrounding them.

The first entry in this series will be the 1984 concert film Stop Making Sense. Other films I hope to talk about include Nightcrawler, Mary & Max, Seven Samurai, Swiss Army Man, Four Lions, Her, and The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover. If interest is strong enough, I might even come up with a system for letting people vote on which movies I write about.

I’ll be working on IFLTM in between my regular reviews, school, work, and all the other things going on in my life, meaning there’s no set schedule and they’ll come out when they’re ready. I’m hoping to get the first entry out within a month.

Hope you’re all looking forward to it as much as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment